Monday, January 19, 2015

Bolivia, Cobija—Week 3


Dearest Family and Friends,

I hope you have a fantastic week! We are doing well in Cobija.

We met with “M” today and listened to her for a good little while. She told us that her relationship is going well, but that she’s sad and feels alone sometimes. We tried to help her realize the importance of the Gospel. Really, that is what it all comes down to. If we are truly living the Gospel and obeying the commandments, we will be blessed. If not, no. It’s that simple. If we obey and live the Gospel to the fullest, our family relationships, our work, and our school life will improve. It’s something I’m seeing every day. JUST DO IT! Live like you believe. It may be hard, but with God, nothing is impossible.

We had to go to the hospital today. The doctor said that my insect bites have been infected and that is the reason they still itch and haven’t gone away. I got a good ol’ shot and a bunch of pills to take. Thank heavens the clinic was good.

We watched the Joseph Smith movie with “E” and she liked it a lot. On Saturday, she was baptized. It was very beautiful. She still hasn’t told her parents for fear that they may not approve of her decision, but she was happy. Her brother and his family were also very happy.

Reunion de Zona was amazing and everything I needed to hear. Our zone leaders talked with us about the rules of the mission. Elder Alonzo talked about how we should love and respect our companions. He said that at the beginning of each transfer, his Mom asks him, “How is your companion” or “What is your companion like?” He said that one day he told his mom that she should ask, “How are YOU as a companion?” I really needed to hear that. It’s not easy living with someone so different 24 hours a day, but it’s part of our sacred calling. I need to learn to be more Christ-like and love my companion.

It dawned on me that I really don’t have much time left here. I don’t want to go home being the same Amanda Shay Nelson that I was. I want to use the things I’ve learned here and apply them in my life always. I know it won’t be easy because in the year and a half that I’ve been here, my friends and family may not have changed much. But I have. I’ll be working my hardest to make these changes last.

I know that my Savior lives and that He loves me. I know that families can be together forever. I love this Gospel. I know I’m not perfect, but I’m an instrument in the Lord’s hands and I’ll do all I can to be worthy of this privilege.

I love you all and hope you have a great week.
XOXO Hermana Nelson

Journal Pages
Inspiration is Real
We were trying to think of a family we could have FHE with and it came to our minds that we should get to know the Familia “L” a little better. We didn’t have much time, so I just shared a little of Elder Scott’s October Conference message. They said it was inspired and that they really needed to hear that. One of their kids is making a lot of bad decisions and doesn’t have good friends. We were able to help them understand that if they aren’t living the basics of the Gospel, they can’t receive blessings.

Teaching by Parents
We watched the Conference talk by President Tad R. Callister about parents and how they should be the main teachers of the Gospel in the home. I loved the story he related at the beginning of his talk. It is truly important to have parents who teach us what we need to and should do in life. I’m so grateful for my parents and all they did to teach me what I know about the Gospel and life in general. I hope I can do the same for my future children.









No comments:

Post a Comment