Monday, September 8, 2014

Bolivia, Paraiso—Week 6

Dearest Family and Friends,

I really hope you all had a great week. 

Our investigators are very unpredictable. “B” is taking classes at the university and hasn’t had much time to talk to us. We talked with a member who said that he was meeting with the missionaries about a year ago and the same thing was happening—he was coming to church, but only telling the members what was wrong about everything they were doing. So, after realizing that, we’ve decided to stop visiting him for a bit to see if he really has good intentions or if he is just trying to get information from us.

“B” (another investigator) is progressing well, but we have realized that he is very innocent and basically does what his friends tell him to do. He is 28, but is like a 15 year-old. We are trying to help him change and understand the commandments. He didn’t come to church, which made us really sad, but we will keep working with him and let you know how he’s coming along.

I have really learned how to rely on the Lord—especially in these times most difficult in my life. I have found peace knowing that he is truly here.

This week was a bit rough. I won’t go into the details because that would just be negative and unnecessary, but my companions and I have been through some trials this week. There is a lot of "machismo" (or, sexism . . . I can’t remember what it’s called in English) and it’s a hard thing to deal with. We had a pretty ugly experience yesterday with our ward mission leader and we were very appalled at the situation. But, later in the day, we had a meeting with President Quesada (he’s pretty much my favorite person here), and he helped us feel better. He really listened to our worries and helped us realize that there will always be opposition. A scripture I read today in my personal study explains this well. In Luke 21:17 it says, "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name’s sake." I’ve thought about that a lot. There are people who act in very rude ways, but I know that the Savior knows how I’m feeling. He has comforted me more in these past few days than I could have ever thought possible. I know that the hard things I’m going through are just going to help me later on in my life. I am changing my attitude and my character every day to be more in line with the things the Savior wants me to do.

I love the scripture in 1 Corinthians 13:11: "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a [woman], I put away childish things."

I know that is true. I’m trying so hard to become more like Christ. Of course I’ll still be the same Amanda with my crazy weird personality, but I will change the way I treat others and truly do my best to develop Christlike attributes.

I encourage you all to read and study chapter 6 in Preach My Gospel. I love this chapter. I usually do the activity at the end every month (or more if I can) so I can see my progress and truly become like Him. I know the savior loves us. I know that we are special Daughters and Sons of God. I love Him. I know He’s there and I know that we are here to become better each day. I love this work and the person I’m becoming through these trials and experiences.

I love you all so much and I hope you all have a fantastic week. Make someone happy this week. Show the love that you really feel for others. Don’t just say the words.

xoxo Hermana Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment